Sodom and Gomorrah


Hello everyone,

How are you doing today? I hope well and bubbling in the Lord.

Primary Text
“And He condemned to ruin and extinction the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, reducing them to ashes [and thus] set them forth as an example to those who would be ungodly;” 2 Peter 2v6 (AMP)

Abraham and his nephew Lot had been moving about together. But, due to the amount of herd, tent, and flock they had, there began to be strife between the herdsmen of the two of them. Abraham decided that they should separate from one another. Genesis 13v10-11 (AMP) says “And Lot looked and saw that everywhere the Jordan Valley was well watered. Before the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, [it was all] like the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt, as you go to Zoar. Then Lot chose for himself all the Jordan Valley and [he] traveled east. So they separated.” Now, Lot had looked, and the area he saw was well watered, described here like the garden of the Lord. But we later learn that Sodom and Gomorrah was indeed full of iniquity and sin, so much so that God went and destroyed the land.

Proverbs 14v12 (NIV) says “There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death.” May God grant us the grace to discern properly between that which is right and that which isn’t. I appreciate as an example the conversation that Moses had with the Lord in Exodus 33. “Moses said to the LORD, “You have been telling me, ‘Lead these people,’ but You have not let me know whom You will send with me. You have said, ‘I know you by name and you have found favor with Me.’ If You are pleased with me, teach me Your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with You. Remember that this nation is Your people.” The LORD replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” Then Moses said to Him, “If Your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. How will anyone know that You are pleased with me and with Your people unless You go with us? What else will distinguish me and Your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?” And the LORD said to Moses, “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know You by name.” (Exodus 33v12-17, NIV).

Prayer
Father, Your Word says there is a way that seems right unto a man, but the end is death. Father we thank You for Your Spirit dwelling with us and in us. We pray today like Moses that You will teach us Your way, that we may know You. Please find pleasure in us, and let Your Presence be with us always, and grant us rest. Where Your Presence would not go with us, any career, relationship, home, marriage, wherever Your Presence would not go with us, though it seems good and pleasing and right to our own eyes, please keep us far from there. We thank You for this privilege to call You Abba Father and to pray these things according to Your will, knowing You’ve heard us and that we have those things we ask of You. In Jesus name we pray, amen. 

Comments

Popular Posts