Seek God’s Approval

Hello everyone,

How are you doing on this day? I hope well and bubbling in the Lord.

Primary Text
But he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. For not he that commendeth himself is approved, but whom the Lord commendeth.” 2 Corinthians 10v17-18 (KJV)

The standards of the Lord are different from the standards of men; for His ways are not our ways. Moreover, what God approves of is different from what man approves. While the tendency is for us to seek the approval of man and want to be accepted in their eyes, God wants us to seek His approval. As seen in 2 Corinthians 10v18 (AMPC) “For [it is] not [the man] who praises and commends himself who is approved and accepted, but [it is the person] whom the Lord accredits and commends.” Whose approval are you seeking?

Recently, I had to check myself that while I want to be used by God to make a difference, my motives had to be right. It had to be for the glory of God; and not in comparison to what others are doing or what others are would say? Beloved, what are your motives for doing the work you are doing? Let us not seek to be in the spotlight or the limelight, but to have God’s name glorified. Our Lord Jesus made an illustration of this with respect to the giving of alms in Matthew 6v2-4 (see below). Do not let us get into the unwise act of comparing ourselves with one another. Indeed, 2 Corinthians 10v12 (AMP) says “Not that we [have the audacity to] venture to class or [even to] compare ourselves with some who exalt and furnish testimonials for themselves! However, when they measure themselves with themselves and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding and behave unwisely.” Now, it is not a strange thing for one to compare himself to another, but we must wrestle against not doing it. Our Lord Jesus was talking to Peter and giving him instructions, telling him – feed My sheep. He also told him the manner in which he would die. Peter was curious about John. John 20v20-23 (AMP) record “But Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved, following—the one who also had leaned back on His breast at the supper and had said, Lord, who is it that is going to betray You? When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, Lord, what about this man? Jesus said to him, If I want him to stay (survive, live) until I come, what is that to you? [What concern is it of yours?] You follow Me!” Beloved, you follow the Lord. You do what He has asked you to or is requiring you to do at this moment. Even if others are not obeying the Lord – you follow Him. Even if others are complaining – you follow Him.

Supplementary Text
“When you give a gift to a beggar, don’t shout about it as the hypocrites do—blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you in all earnestness, they have received all the reward they will ever get. But when you do a kindness to someone, do it secretly—don’t tell your left hand what your right hand is doing. And your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you.” Matthew 6v2-4 (TLB)

Prayer

Father, I thank You for Your word this day. Father, forgive me for every time I have compared myself with another person. Forgive me for every time I have belittled the work that You have given me to do, seeking man’s approval instead of Yours, or comparing myself to others. I come to You Lord for grace to stay in my lane, to do what You have asked me to do and to do it extremely well and to do glory of Your name in Jesus name, amen. 

Comments

Popular Posts