Suffering for Christ’s Sake


Dearly Beloved, I trust this finds you well and bubbling in the Lord. Today, we look at the idea of suffering and believer’s suffering. Philippians 1v29 (NIV) says “For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for Him,” while 2 Timothy 3v12 (KJV) explains that “Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.” Synonyms for suffering include pain, agony, distress, misery, and anguish. The suffering described in these verses are those that might befall the righteous. Jesus suffered persecution when He was on earth, and His disciples, we will as well. Indeed Jesus told His disciples in John 15v18-22 (TPT) that “Just remember, when the unbelieving world hates you, they first hated me. If you were to give your allegiance to the world, they would love and welcome you as one of their own. But because you won’t align yourself with the values of this world, they will hate you. I have chosen you and taken you out of the world to be mine. So remember what I taught you, that a servant isn’t superior to his master. And since they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. And if they obey my teachings, they will also obey yours. They will treat you this way because you are mine, and they don’t know the One who sent me. “If I had not come and revealed myself to the unbelieving world, they would not feel the guilt of their sin, but now their sin is left uncovered. If anyone hates me, they hate my Father also. 

Beloved, are you suffering for righteousness sake, and perhaps thinking why me, or of giving up? In fact, Acts 5v41 (KJV) shows the reaction of the apostles after they were beaten and commanded not to speak in the name of Jesus being that “… they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His name.” But there is grace for all our tribulations. 2 Corinthians 12v9-11 (NLT) says “Each time He said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” When we are weak, and in trouble, and suffering insults for the sake of Christ, His strength is made perfect through us. And it is better to be suffering for good, than to be suffer for evil in this world and that which is to come. May our prayer be like Paul, who said:

Prayer
“But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in Him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto His death.” Philippians 3v7-10 (KJV)

Comments

Popular Posts