True Circumcision - No confidence in the flesh

Dearly beloved, I trust this finds you well and bubbling in the Lord. We continue looking at the notion of true circumcision. In Philippians 3v3 (AMPC), Paul writes “For we [Christians] are the true circumcision, who worship God in spirit and by the Spirit of God and exult and glory and pride ourselves in Jesus Christ, and put no confidence or dependence [on what we are] in the flesh and on outward privileges and physical advantages and external appearances–”. The NLT says “For we who worship by the Spirit of God are the ones who are truly circumcised. We rely on what Christ Jesus has done for us. We put no confidence in human effort,”. Paul here is making a case about who are the real Christians, the real worshippers of God, and he makes various points.


Those who are truly circumcised rely on what Jesus did for them and have no confidence in their flesh or human effort. They acknowledge that they aren’t self made but that all they are and will ever be is because of God. Romans 7:18-19 (AMPC) says “For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot perform it. [I have the intention and urge to do what is right, but no power to carry it out.] For I fail to practice the good deeds I desire to do, but the evil deeds that I do not desire to do are what I am [ever] doing.” Rather than depend on the flesh, we rely on Christ. In Him we live, and move and have our being. Our reality is captured in Galatians 2:20-21 (NLT) which says “My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not treat the grace of God as meaningless. For if keeping the law could make us right with God, then there was no need for Christ to die.” Hallelujah.


Prayer
Father, we thank You for Your word this day and for calling us Your own. We thank You for sending Jesus to die for us and salvation by believing in Him. Blessed be Your holy name forever more in Jesus name, amen.

Comments

Popular Posts