The Error of Balaam


Hello everyone,

How are you doing today? I hope well and bubbling in the Lord.

Primary Text
“These false teachers left the right road and lost their way, following the way Balaam went. Balaam was the son of Beor, who loved being paid for doing wrong. But a donkey, which cannot talk, told Balaam he was sinning. It spoke with a man’s voice and stopped the prophet’s crazy thinking.” 2 Peter 2v15-16 (NCV)

The second of the “3 great sins of Balaam” (Num. 22:1-24:25) that the Dakes concordance highlights is - “The error of Balaam (Jude 11): This was accepting the wages of unrighteousness for his services in giving the secret of how to get God to curse Israel.
The first of the great sins entitled “The way of Balaam” talked of his love for the wages of unrighteousness. 1 Timothy 6v8-11 (AMP) says “But if we have food and clothing, with these we shall be content (satisfied). But those who crave to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and into many foolish (useless, godless) and hurtful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction and miserable perishing. For the love of money is a root of all evils; it is through this craving that some have been led astray and have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves through with many acute [mental] pangs. But as for you, O man of God, flee from all these things; aim at and pursue righteousness (right standing with God and true goodness), godliness (which is the loving fear of God and being Christlike), faith, love, steadfastness (patience), and gentleness of heart.” Now, temptations would come, but we are to “Abstain from all appearance of evil” (1 Thessalonians 5v22, KJV). The error of Balaam was that in addition to loving the wages of unrighteousness, he accepted it, 2 Peter 2v15 (NCV) saying “he loved being paid for doing wrong.”

Supplementary Text
“Let your character or moral disposition be free from love of money [including greed, avarice, lust, and craving for earthly possessions] and be satisfied with your present [circumstances and with what you have]; for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down (relax My hold on you)! [Assuredly not!] So we take comfort and are encouraged and boldly say, The Lord is my Helper; I will not be seized with alarm [I will not fear or dread or be terrified]. What can man do to me?” Hebrews 13v5-6 (AMP)

Prayer
Father, I thank You so much for Your Word. Father, I pray that You would search my heart and remove everything of covetousness in me. Forgive me Lord in anyway I have received a wage of unrighteousness, and set me on the path of righteousness, in Jesus name, amen.


Comments

Popular Posts