The Better Thing

Hello everyone,

How are you doing on this day? I hope well and bubbling in the Lord. Many times we want to do a bunch of things, but the important thing is what would the Lord have me do at this time? What is He requiring of me? Luke 10v38-42 (New International Version), relates an incident “As Jesus and His disciples were on their way, He came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to Him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what He said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to Him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”  “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Martha did well by opening her home to the Lord and welcoming Him in. She was looking as well to make preparations, assumedly for Him, but Mary did something better - she sat at His feet and was listening to Him. Beloved, are you learning at the feet of Jesus, are you cultivating intimacy with Him? Few things are needed, or indeed one thing is needful or better.
The Psalmist in Psalm 27v4 (King James Version) says “One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in His temple.” The Classic Amplified Version says “One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek, inquire for, and [insistently] require: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord [in His presence] all the days of my life, to behold and gaze upon the beauty [the sweet attractiveness and the delightful loveliness] of the Lord and to meditate, consider, and inquire in His temple.” The Living Bible puts it this way “The one thing I want from God, the thing I seek most of all, is the privilege of meditating in his Temple, living in His presence every day of my life, delighting in His incomparable perfections and glory.”
Prayer
Father, we thank You for Your Word. O Lord, may our desires be purified, that we would not be weighed down with what is of no consequence and little value, but to truly seek that which is eternal, and would glorify Your name in Jesus name, amen. We seek to dwell in Your Presence all the days of our lives, to delight in You, to draw from the wells of Your Presence. You are the most important Person to us o Lord and we want to walk with You, to be Your friend and bride. Help us Lord in Jesus name, amen.

Comments

Popular Posts