Material benefits for God’s ministers (2)


Hello everyone,

How are you doing on this day? I hope well and bubbling in the Lord. We thank God for His goodness, His mercy, His love and His comfort.

Primary Text
If we have sown [the seed of] spiritual good among you, [is it too] much if we reap from your material benefits. If others share in this rightful claim upon you, do not we [have a still better and greater claim]? However, we have never exercised this right, but we endure everything rather than put a hindrance in the way [of the spread] of the good news (the Gospel) of Christ. Do you not know that those men who are employed in the services of the temple get their food from the temple? And that those who tend the altar share with the altar [in the offerings brought]? [On the same principle] the Lord directed that those who publish the good news (the Gospel) should live (get their maintenance) by the Gospel. But I have not made use of any of these privileges, nor am I writing this [to suggest] that any such provision be made for me [now]. For it would be better for me to die than to have anyone make void and deprive me of my [ground for] glorifying [in this matter].” 1 Corinthians 9v11-15 (AMP)

Here Paul continues his letter to the church in Corinth, speaking about provisions that should be made for God’s ministers. However, he highlights that he did not exercise this privilege among them. For him, he did not want to put any hindrance to the gospel. One reason was because he didn’t want to give some deceitful and false workers, who were masquerading themselves as apostles the opportunity to say they worked like he did (2 Corinthians 11v12-13). So while he did receive support from those in Macedonia, he wasn’t from the Corinthians. In 2 Corinthians 6v3 (NIV) he writes “We put no stumbling block in anyone’s path, so that our ministry will not be discredited” And we know that as a profession, he did work as a tentmaker (Acts 18v3). Beloved, I don’t know what your thoughts are about this, but Galatians 6v6 (AMP) says “Let him who receives instruction in the Word [of God] share all good things with his teacher [contributing to his support].

Supplementary Text
Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God to you free of charge? I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you. And when I was with you and needed something, I was not a burden to anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied what I needed. I have kept myself from being a burden to you in any way, and will continue to do so. As surely as the truth of Christ is in me, nobody in the regions of Achaia will stop this boasting of mine. Why? Because I do not love you? God knows I do. And I will keep on doing what I am doing in order to cut the ground from under those who want an opportunity to be considered equal with us in the things they boast about.” 2 Corinthians 11v7-12 (NIV)

Prayer
Father, we thank You for Your Word and Your ministers all over the world. We pray that You will bless, keep, and strengthen them and provide for their every need. We pray that we will be channels of blessing for Your ministers in Jesus name we pray, amen.

Comments

Popular Posts