A State of Contentment

Hello everyone,

How are you doing on this day? I hope well and bubbling in the Lord. One definition for content is “mentally or emotionally satisfied with things as they are.” (www.dictionary.com). Paul writes:

Primary Text: Philippians 4v11-13
”I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4v11-13 (NIV)

I was reading somewhere, and it was speaking of how single ladies sometimes have ideologies about marriage, and fulfillment coming with marriage and all of that. One could say, that perhaps, others will say, when they have a wife, or a better job, or a boss who isn’t always on their case, then you can talk to them about being content. Paul says, I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. There are various circumstances that we will face in life, but we have to learn to be content. If we look at the opposite of being content, it gives a deeper understanding of this. Discontentment means being dissatisfied, a malcontent, or a restless desire or craving for something one does not have (www.dictionary.com). Now, we can imagine the children of Israel for instance in the wilderness being discontent. They were dissatisfied with were they were, they even talked of going back to Egypt. But we have the benefit of seeing the bigger picture, that God had greater things in store for them, and that He had been seeing and keeping them through and showing Himself strong on their behalf all along. The Psalmist said: “Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope in God: for I shall yet praise Him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.” Psalm 43v5 (KJV). Hope in God brothers and sisters. It is well with your soul. Be content now, where you find yourself. The Bible says: “God has given them a desire to know the future. He does everything just right and on time, but people can never completely understand what He is doing.” (Ecclesiastes 3v11, NCV).

Supplementary Text:
“The LORD will work out His plans for my life – for Your faithful love, O LORD, endures forever. Don’t abandon me, for you made me.” Psalm 138v8 (NLT)

Prayer
Father, I thank You for Your Word, and Your faithfulness to me. Thank You for where I am now, where You have brought me from and where You are taking me to. Father, teach me to be content in whatever circumstance I find myself, putting my hope in You, and trusting in Your love for me, in Jesus name, amen.

Comments

Popular Posts