Lawful vs. Beneficial!

Hello everyone,

How are you doing on this day? I hope well and bubbling in the Lord.

Primary Text
“All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient:…” 1 Corinthians 6v12 (KJV)

“Everything is permissible (allowable and lawful) for me; but not all things are helpful (good for me to do, expedient and profitable when considered with other things)…” 1 Corinthians 6v12 (AMP)

If you consider your life, or different parts of your body that you could very much use to do things – what are you seeing, listening to, where are you going to, what are you saying, what are you feeling? They may be lawful, but are they beneficial for you as a child of God? Is it the flesh that is being fed or the spirit man? Let’s take the mouth for example, we all have mouths, but not everything should be said. James 1v19-20 (AMP) tells us “Understand [this], my beloved brethren. Let every man be quick to hear [a ready listener], slow to speak, slow to take offense and to get angry. For man’s anger does not promote the righteousness God [wishes and requires].” Perhaps you have a legitimate right to be angry in a certain situation, but what harm would be done at the end of the day? Proverbs 15v1 (NIV) says “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger” while Ephesians 4v29 (AMP) tell us “Let no foul or polluting language, nor evil word nor unwholesome or worthless talk [ever] come out of your mouth, but only such [speech] as is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace (God’s favor) to those who hear it.” Words of caution to show us the gravity of choosing wisely what we do, as pertains to our mouth can be seen in Proverbs 18v21 (NLT) “The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences” and Matthew 12v36 (AMP) “But I tell you, on the day of judgment men will have to give account for every idle (inoperative, nonworking) word they speak.” Again, it is not everything we want to put into our mouth or do with our mouths that we should; neither is it every time we want to eat that we should. For example Proverbs 23 tells us to put a knife to our throats if you are a person with a big appetite, for he may be trying to trick you, and also not to eat the food of a stingy person. Again, as believers, sometimes we refrain from eating to fast and wait on God, to seek His face and be empowered spiritually.

Supplementary Text
“I am free to do what I will; yes, but not everything can be done without harm….” 1 Corinthians 6v12 (Knox)

Prayer
Father, I thank You for Your Word. Father, please reveal unto me areas of my life whereby my freewill is causing me to do things that are not expedient or are causing me harm. Please grant me the grace to change them, in Jesus name I pray, amen.


Comments

Popular Posts