Quench not the Spirit

Hello everyone,

How are you doing on this day? I hope well and bubbling in the Lord.

Primary Text
“Quench not the Spirit.” 1 Thessalonians 5v18 (KJV)
“Do not smother the Holy Spirit.” 1 Thessalonians 8v15 (TLB)
“Do not quench (suppress or subdue) the [Holy] Spirit;” 1 Thessalonians 8v15 (AMP)

While to quench could mean to satisfy, as in thirst, in this case it could be understood as to put out, extinguish or suppress. As children of God, we have the Spirit of God dwelling in us and with us. As individuals, and even as a church body we should be careful that we do not quench the Holy Spirit of God. The Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary writes: “Christians are said to be baptized with the Holy Ghost and with fire. He worketh as fire, by enlightening, enlivening, and purifying the souls of men. As fire is put out by taking away fuel, and as it is quenched by pouring water, or putting a great deal of earth upon it; so we must be careful not to quench the Holy Spirit, by indulging carnal lusts and affections, minding only earthly things. Believers often hinder their growth in grace, by not giving themselves up to the spiritual affections raised in their hearts by the Holy Spirit” (http://biblehub.com/1_thessalonians/5-19.htm). Beloved, keep the fire of the Spirit burning in you. Ask constantly and continually for a fresh anointing and filling of the Holy Spirit. Be quick to repent of sin – in words, thoughts, and deeds. Pray in the Spirit. By the power of the Spirit mortify the deeds of the body (Romans 8v13). Walk in the Spirit, be led by the Spirit and fellowship with the Spirit. Be jealous to let nothing break your communion with the Spirit of the living God. He dwells in you already, and the fruit, “[the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness, Gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence)… (Galatians 5v22-23, AMP). When you see yourself not moving in line with the Spirit, begin to ask for more of Him and for a removal of everything that would quench His fire and grace in your life.

Supplementary Text
“Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives.” Galatians 6v25 (NLT)

Prayer
Father, I thank You so much for Your Spirit in me and with me. I pray o God, in anyway I have quenched the Spirit, forgive me and revive me again. Holy Spirit of God, I want to know You more. Come and have Your way in my life. Cleanse me, lead me, fill me, use me, restore me, put to death the deeds of the flesh in my life. Let me be on fire for God again. Heal every lukewarmness o God, and let my life be used for the glory of Your name in Jesus name, amen.

Comments

Popular Posts