Run Your Own Race!

Hello everyone,
How are you doing on this day? I hope well and bubbling in the Lord. So today, I got a message from someone, and it really blessed me and helped to ease pressure, and I thought to share it in today’s encouragement. It is just an encouragement for us to run our own race. The Bible records:

Primary Text: John 14v15-23
“So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou Me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; Thou knowest that I love Thee. He saith unto him, Feed My lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou Me? He saith unto Him, Yea, Lord; Thou knowest that I love Thee. He saith unto him, Feed My sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou Me? Peter was grieved because He said unto him the third time, Lovest thou Me? And he said unto Him, Lord, Thou knowest all things; Thou knowest that I love Thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed My sheep. Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdest thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not. This spake He, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He saith unto him, Follow me. Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on His breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth Thee? Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou Me.” John 14v15-23 (KJV)

Peter had received his instruction(s) from the Lord, and the Lord had told him by what kind of death he would glorify him. But Peter had a question – Lord, and what shall this man do?” Perhaps you are asking the same question today, Lord, and what shall this man do? And what shall this other person who loves you do? And perhaps the Lord is saying to you as He did to Peter – “If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? Follow thou Me.” Follow the Lord. It doesn’t matter what others are doing around you, you, follow the Lord.

Supplementary Text: Run Your Own Race
A few months ago, I was out running (jogging) through my neighborhood. I had about a kilometer to go on my path before I needed to turn off when I noticed a man about a half of a kilo in front of me. I could tell he was running a little bit slower than me and I thought to myself, "Good, I'll try to catch him." So I started running faster and faster. With every block, I could tell I was gaining on him just a little bit. A few minutes later, I was only about quarter kilo away, so I really picked up the pace and started pushing it. I was so determined to catch up with him that you would have thought I was in the last leg of the Olympic Games! Finally, I caught up to him and passed him. On the inside, I felt so good that I had beaten him. (Of course, he didn't even know 'we' were racing.) But when I got my mind back on what I was doing, I realized I had missed my turn. I was so caught up in trying to beat this man I didn't even know that I went nearly six streets further than I was supposed to. I had to turn around and go all the way back.

Isn't that what happens in life sometimes? Maybe we're trying to catch up with someone else - a neighbor, friend or coworker. We get so wrapped up in the competition trying to outdo them, out dress them, or trying to prove that we're more important. We spend all this time and energy going down that path when we should be using it to move toward our own God-given destiny! If that's you today, realize that your life would go to a whole new level if you would just quit competing with everyone around you. It takes a lot of physical and emotional energy to try to impress people all day long. But it's very freeing to say, "I don't have to impress anybody today. I have nothing to prove. I'm secure in who I am. And I am not going to feel bad if you look better, make more money, or get more recognition. I don't have to keep up with you; I'm going to run my own race." Get free from comparison today so that you can move forward into the destiny God has in store for you!

Prayer
Father, I thank You for Your Word. I am sorry for anyway I have been comparing myself to others. Please reveal Your plans and purposes for my life, and let Your name alone be glorified in me now and evermore in Jesus name, amen.

Comments

Popular Posts