The God of Jacob

Hello everyone,

How are you doing on this day? I hope well and bubbling in the Lord.

Primary Text
“And Jacob went out from Beersheba, and went toward Haran. And he lighted upon a certain place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep. And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it. And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed; and thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed. And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of.” Genesis 28v10-15 (KJV)

Looking at the life of Abraham, it is interesting how God would encourage and reassure him that I will give you a son, and no, it is not Ishmael (who was born to him by his wife’s servant). I am even more fascinated by how God communicated with Abraham’s grandson – Jacob. He would give him direction for his life, reassure him when he was afraid, and confirm His promises to him (see Genesis 31v1-4; 32v24-29; 34v30-35v1; 35v9-15). At times, this was after Jacob himself had built an altar to the Lord (Genesis 46v1-4). And although Jacob said “… few and evil have the days of the years of my life been” (Genesis 47v9), he had God’s presence and reassurance through it (Genesis 28v15). Beloved, I don’t know how your life has been so far. The Christian walk was not promised to be a bed of roses, but we are given the assurance that through it, God is with us – He will not fail us, nor forsake us (Hebrews 13v5).

Supplementary Text
“And he blessed Joseph, and said, God, before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac did walk, the God which fed me all my life long unto this day, The Angel which redeemed me from all evil, bless the lads; and let my name be named on them, and the name of my fathers Abraham and Isaac; and let them grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth.” Genesis 48v15-16 (KJV)

Prayer
Lord God Almighty, thank You for seeking us to have a relationship with us and Your constant care and presence all our lives. Thank You for we are Yours and the blessed assurance that we will spend all eternity with You in Jesus name, amen.


Comments

Popular Posts